Monday, January 16, 2006

Antiques fair.




Yesterday we went to the antiques fair. It was huge and took 3 hours to walk through the whole place. I could have spent alot longer.
I bought a pendant of St George...I'm not religious but I love the pendant..it just caught my eye. It's french, made from silver and a blue/violet enamel. I wondered why I would want something that depicted dragon slaying, because when I think of dragons, I think of Puff. But I can see it as the good conquering evil, or symbolism of bravery. Today I looked up St George. Obviously he is the patron saint of Engalnd, but there is so much more to him than that. I found quite alot about him HERE and besides..his feast day (April 23rd) is on the same day as Shakespeares birthday/death day and my cats birthday and my half year birthday..and Maya reckons the baby is going to be born that day, and she thinks that is why I bought the pendant.
Anyway here is a pic. It is a much bluer colour IRL. The silver engraving is really detailed...
Here is the back.
















Maya is collecting compacts. She bought a really pretty Vogue one with her pocket money from christmas..



And I was happy because I *think* that fruit bowl of mine might be worth some money. I bought it for 8 quid at a boot sale but someone had one there, identical but different colour for £400. He said it was from Nantes and Art deco. I'm still trying to find one similar online. The one I saw at the antiques fair is the only other one I've seen.

No comments: