Sunday, April 23, 2006

Cravings again....

It was suggested to me that I look at links like this on Pica and this would explain the rubber cravings etc. It seems it is often associated with iron deficiency in pregnant women . My iron levels aren't too bad but I have noticed that they have dropped slightly between blood tests.
I can't take iron tablets but thought maybe I should try again. Because after all I would rather not have urges to chew rubber! But that was a big mistake. About half hour after taking the iron I started feeling nauseous and clammy and getting contractions. Had to pace the house, have a bath and go to bed. Something similar happened when I was pregnant with Quela...though that time I threw up in the high street with an audience! Luckily Marcos was working 4 doors down so managed to get me a taxi home.
I don't know what it is about iron tablets but they make me feel awful! I keep telling my midwives and doctor but they just look at me in horror when I say I can't take them. Actually my doctor insisted I take them without ever testing my iron levels. Seems a strange practice to prescribe something across the board like that. Anyway.. I took quite a few when pregnant with Quela and was often nauseous but this time I just can't even try to take them. SO...I guess I should get it from my food. Thankfully, pregnancy is almost over so I can hopefully get by without the iron tablets and just keep my diet good. We had a nice roast dinner tonight. And I managed to walk a few miles this afternoon to do the shopping...so the ill affects of the iron didn't last too long!

3 comments:

The Metzgers said...

Ra-Kelly, try taking some liquid cholorphyll for the iron. Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

jayne can't do iron pills either. she's taking spatone (from boots), comes in sachets which you tip into fruit juice ( i watched this process ) j swears by it, else she gets dangerously anemic. ps not cheap !
love, fiona

R said...

Thanks for the info xxx I'll send Marcos to Boots tomorrow to see if he can get me something. I wanna be buzzin LOL