Saturday, January 26, 2008

Quela pedantic aged 3 and 1/3

Quela has this habit of asking for apples, biting into them then throwing them in the compost bin. And it's proving a bit costly and obviously it's wasteful so I was trying to explain that she should eat the whole apple or save it for later or give the apple to someone else instead of getting a new one every five minutes. So she says "but I can't eat apples..I'm vegetarian" so i said:
"But vegetarians eat apples" and the reply I get is:
"They can't because apples are not vegetables, they are fruit!"

We aren't vegetarian (though I don't eat mammals and haven't done so for 20 years) so it's not like she is growing up in a vegetarian household where she hears the word all the time. Actually the whole conversation is amazing to me in that she has made the distinction between fruit and veg and then used it to debate with me. Obviously her arguement isn't water tight because if she is *vegetarian* then why is she eating the apple in the first place?hmm? haha these toddlers will never get one over me :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What worries me is I have just discovered she might be right, some apples aren't vegetarian as they are coated in shellac which is insect juice, I will never buy an non organic apple again

R said...

ewww.. organic apples are so expensive...we buy them sometimes. Might need to go grow a tree quick!