Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween etc

Well, we went to the archaeological meet up and did some fun stuff to do with superstition. We made some little charms to throw in a spring and did some cave painting and coin forging etc. And we went on a ghost hunt through the archaeological archives. They have 10 kms of shelves there with 150,000 boxes with on average 50 items in each box. The ghost hunt was in the dark with torches/shutters slamming down/skeletons appearing etc. It was pretty fun and spooky..especially when we got told the tale of the sycle (sp?) which they found blood traces on. Seems it was a murder weapon a couple of centuries back..by a girl on her sister and lover and then she killed herself. The museum found this out recently when they had some forensics done on the item..and found 3 different blood samples on it...so they investigated further...though it may just all be false! Who knows ..I couldn't tell what was true or not on that ghost hunt..was good..got us all spooked!
so tonight was Halloween..... we carved a pumpkin, and made some pumpkin soup..quite nice "actually"(fiona..I didn't even realise I put it) with coconut milk and chili..had a thai taste to it. Maya and her friend went trick or treating and brought back quite a decent haul. Alot of it was money! Much better for the teeth.
Quela isn't really into Halloween yet...she wore the witches hat but said "I'm a pirate..yee haaa!"
here's a few pics:

Maya and friend harrassing me at the front door for
sweets































the big eyed pumpkin




















Quela bewildered slightly.

2 comments:

Sophie K said...

What fun you all had!
And your recipe for pumpkin soup sounds delicious! I still have loads of pumpkins left to cook so I will definitely try it out!

Autumn said...

yes, thai pumpkin sounds great! oooo, that field trip sounds wonderful. you know, one of the most appealling things about home schooling is getting to do this kind of stuff with your kids. i LOVE it! and love hearing about these things you are doing with your girls.